Biotechnology is the use of an organism or a component of an organism or other biological system to make a product or process for a specific use. This program is designed to give students a comprehensive introduction to the scientific concepts and laboratory research techniques currently used in the field of biotechnology. Students attain knowledge about the field of biotechnology and deeper understanding of the biological concepts used. In addition, students develop the laboratory, critical thinking, and communication skills currently used in the biotechnology industry. Furthermore, students will explore and evaluate career opportunities in the field of biotechnology through extensive readings, laboratory experiments, class discussions, research projects, guest speakers, and workplace visits.
Students will learn:
- Aseptic, instrumentation, and laboratory techniques
- The basics of chemistry, microbiology, and molecular biology.
- Genetics, including DNA analysis such as restriction enzyme digests and PCR.
- Techniques used to study proteins such as determining protein concentration and enzyme activity.
- Agarose gel electrophoresis, SDS-PAGE, and Western blotting
- The basics of eukaryotic cell culture, both of plant and animal cells.
- Good manufacturing and documentation practices.
- FDA regulations and controls, as well as quality control and assurance will be covered, as will statistical process control and writing standard operating procedures (SOP) and batch records.
An Associate’s degree provides the required education for entry level industry positions, such as laboratory technicians or Research assistants. A Bachelor’s degree is sufficient for some jobs in applied research or product development. A Ph.D. is usually required for independent research in the Biotechnology field.
Students are recommended to take Anatomy & Physiology and AP Biology is also recommended.
- Career Exploration (100) – 18 Credits
- Biotechnology 9 (380) -12 Credits
- Biotechnology 10 (381) – 24 Credits
- Biotechnology Theory 10 (381T) – 5 Credits
- Biotechnology 11 (382) – 34 Credits
- Biotechnology 11 Theory (382T) – 5 Credits
- Biotechnology 12 (383) – 34 Credits
- Biotechnology 12 Theory (383T) – 5 Credits